- Clock and reset strategy: gating, async/sync reset, synchronization (metastability), … .
- Mathematical operators, add, substract, multiply, divide and the HW inferred. Relationship between area, power and speed. Signed versus unsigned.
- Inferred versus instanced.
- Single port/dual port synchronous memory access.
- Basics of on-chip bus protocols, like amba (APB, AHB, AXI). Master, slave, register map. arbitration, DMA.
As an electrical engineer focusing on digital VLSI design jobs what are the critical design skills that one should know (like FSM, FIFO design techniques what else)?